2014-15 Closing & Delays Procedures Letter from the Superintendent:
Decisions to delay or close schools due to inclement weather are usually made by 5 a.m. the day of the delay or closing.
Where to Find Closing Announcements:
Inclement Weather Announcements:
- On the PWCS Home Page: School closings, delayed openings, or early closing information will be announced on the PWCS home page as soon as decisions are made (Go to www.pwcs.edu, see the top of the page).
- When viewing the PWCS Web Site be sure to "Refresh" your web browser or in some cases you may need to CLOSE AND REOPEN YOUR BROWSER window if the refresh does not show the closing announcement.
- Facebook and Twitter
- On Television Stations, on PWCS-TV, Comcast cable channel 18; Verizon cable channel 36
- PWCS E-News email and text message notifications
When schools are "closed on Code Red" (employees do not report to work) or "closed on Code Green" (teachers do not report but 12-month employees do report to work), all school division activities will be cancelled. Also the School Age Care Program will not open.
Two-Hour or One-Hour Delayed Opening
- All students, teachers, teacher’s aides, bus drivers and bus driver attendants shall report to work on a 2-hour or 1-hour delay.
- All classified employees, teachers on 12-month contracts, all administrators and all cafeteria workers report at normal times.
- Note that sometimes a 2-hour delay or 1-hour delay is later changed to a full day school closing; so check for announcements frequently when there is a delayed opening.
- The SACC program will also be delayed one or two hours.
- Note that sometimes a 2-hour delay is later changed to a full day school closing; so check for announcements frequently when there is a delayed opening.
Early Closing (One-Hour or Two-Hour Early Dismissal)
- Teachers and teacher’s aides may be excused early by the principal after students have safely departed the building and grounds.
- Administrative staff and classified employees, except teacher’s aides, will remain on the normal work schedule unless specifically excused by an announcement from the Superintendent.
- The SACC program will be closed.
- After-School Activities
If schools close early or if schools Divisionwide are closed all day due to inclement weather, the after-school student activities, athletic activities, and GED/Adult Ed classes will be canceled. However exceptions can be made in some cases and the school activity may be held as planned.
Check announcements about the status of the SACC program when after school activities are cancelled. SACC program may close early.
- Usually, no announcements will be made when schools are operating on a normal schedule.
- Staff Development Activities:
Staff development activities: If Prince William County Public Schools are closed for the entire day all staff development activities are canceled. If schools close early, staff development activities are canceled and will be rescheduled. If schools open late, activities may be cancelled; contact the department or school sponsoring the activity. Information on cancellation of Saturday staff development activities may be obtained by calling the department or school sponsoring the activity.
- How Decisions Are Made:
Decisions are made based on conditions across the county and beyond to create a margin of safety for all travelers from all areas of the county. Conditions that can appear safe in one area may well be very different in another. Decisions take all areas into consideration to protect the safety of all our students and staff. Extensive decision making incorporates field surveys, review of weather forecasts, and coordination with other agencies.
- Also see FAQs for more information.